#5AMClub (Waking Up at 5AM)
"5am club is a way of life. It's a productivity
strategy, and a means to achieve all you
have ever desired." - jeff sanders
4:57 A.M, May 25th 2016 and I wake up to the wind of a tropical storm. I had my alarm set for 5:05am but my body clock had already adjusted for me... Yes, that's right, 5am... and it's a time that I like to get up at too!
If you work as a farmer, or a fisherman, you probably think I'm a little girl. But common people think, "Oski you are crazy! Why would you do that to yourself?"
Every time I get up very early, I do it, and what an achievement it is already. It feels as if I have a spare day to work with. It lets me decide what I do with the day and my business and not vice versa. Every morning is a ritual that should not be disturbed by extra sleep! That is a Miracle Morning!
The #5AMCLUB is all about changing the idea that you have to wake up to your daily tasks on fire, this will allow you more time work on becoming a healthier and more productive person!
Apple CEO Tim Cook and Disney CEO Robert Iger both get up at 4.30am. Former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, used to get up at 4.30am and head straight to the gym, even when she was holding that post. Xerox CEO Ursula Burns wakes up at 5.15am. Prime Minister Narender Modi too, begins his day early. Richard Branson, founder, Virgin Group, is a dedicated believer of the 5am club as is PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi.
The first time I heard about the stupid idea of getting up at 5:00am (stupid Robin Sharma and his # 5AmClub) it seemed too stupid and unrealistic for me to join. Being both stupid and unrealistic, I decided to give it a go...
"5 am to 8 am are hours when one has least interruptions, and the mind is blank and full of potential."
- Robin Sharma
WHAT TO DO IN A #MIRACLEMORNING ?
They must become a routine and more than just a routine, it must become your ritual and your lifestyle!
Robin Sharma suggested that we should devote one hour each morning to a 20-20-20 breakdown where you spend 20 minutes exercising, 20 minutes working on goals and dreams, and 20 minutes learning something. He also suggested that 20 minutes of meditation would be very benificial too.
These are some of the things that we do in our #5amclub mornings:
- Go for a run! It will make you healthier and fit, make your brain work harder, give you energy for the day, and wake you up with all the fresh air running into your lungs and hot blood pumping through your body.
- Finish your showers cold. It will shock your body, wake you up extra, and make your feel super fresh! You can't move like a slug after you jump so fast out of the shower!
- Make some freshly squeezed juice or a smoothie. If going for a run and having a cold shower don't wake you up, drink a glass of freshly squeezed pomegranate or grapefruit juice, the acidity will surely stop you from dreaming and freshen up your insides with the super healthy goodness. Green apples and cucumber are super fresh, or otherwise just chuck in any fruit with a bit of water and blend yourself a delicious drink because hey your body is A W E S O M E and you are going to do A W E S O M E things today!
- Eat a breakfast for Kings!!! Have a whole meal, forget about that pussy cup of coffee and a piece of bread. This is your time to make yourself S T R O N G for the day. I like to eat 4 boiled eggs with rice, or last nights dinner, or some amazing bread with olive oil, avocados, tomatoes, lemon juice and oregano, a big bowl of pasta... Yoghurt and fruit.. oats... make it big and strong!! Your brain is not going to work as well on fried sausages and hash browns.
- Drink a big glass of cold water. Hydrate that brain!!
- Write a list of daily goals. You were meant to do it last night but if you didn't it's time to plan your day!
- Look at the first thing on the list.
- Now just D O I T!
One morning Gita and I woke up at "5AM" only to see 20 minutes later that the clocks had changed to 4am, and what a great and surprising extra head start to the day it was! Rather than being dissapointed that we could have slept more, we excitedly got on with our plans and later realised that without the 1 extra hour we wouldn't have completed everything that we wanted to before her flight was due.
5am and Santiago is in silence, no one is around, no one is rushing or panicking or distracting. If the gym opened earlier I would have gone earlier, if shops opened earlier and people started working earlier I would already starting going there to get those things done!
Join us 5AMers and feel the amazingness!! Get a head start on your day while all the others sleep :)
50 Ways Ordinary People Reached World-Class
A motivational list that we should read and keep in mind often!
- Know what you want. Clarity is power. And vague goals promote vague results.
- Remember that every problem has a solution. Maybe you just can’t see it. Yet.
- In this Age of Dramatic Distraction, the performer who focuses the best wins the most.
- Before someone will help you, you need to help them.
- Become the most passionate person you know. It’ll be contagious.
- Know more about your craft/the work you do than anyone who has ever done the work you do…in the history of the world.
- Join The 5 am Club. Your most valuable hours are 5am-8am. They have the least interruptions.
- Devote yourself to learning something new about your field of mastery every day. Success belongs to the relentless learners. Because as you know more, you can achieve more.
- Remember that when you transform your fitness, you’ll transform your business.
- Don’t check your mobile when you’re meeting with another person. It’s rude. And rude people don’t reach world-class.
- Every time you do what scares you, you take back the power that you gave to the thing that scared you. And so you become more powerful.
- A problem is only a problem if you make the choice to see it as a problem.
- Stop being a victim. Your business and personal life was made by you. No one else is responsible. To make it better, make better choices. And new decisions.
- You can lead without a title. Don’t wait to get a position to stand for excellence, peak quality and overdelivery on every expectation.
- Find your own style. Be an original. Every superstar differentiated themselves from The Herd. And marched to their own drumbeat.
- Understand that when you play small with your success, you betray your potential. And the birthright you were born under.
- Eat less food and you’ll get more done.
- As you become more successful, stay really really hungry. Nothing fails like success. Because when you’re successful, it’s easy to stop outlearning+outOverDelivering+outthinking and outexecuting everyone around you. (Success is Beautiful. And dangerous).
- If you’re not overprepared, you’re underprepared.
- The only level of great manners to play at is “Exceedingly Polite”. In our world, this alone will make you a standout. And differentiate you in your marketplace.
- Remember that the moment you think you’re a Master, you lose your Mastery. And the minute you think you know everything, you know nothing.
- To double your results, double your level of execution.
- Invest in your personal and pro development. All superstars do.
- You don’t get lucky. You create lucky.
- When you push through a difficult project, you don’t get to the other side. You reach The Next Level.
- Smile. And remember to inform your face.
- Spend time in solitude every day. Your best ideas live there.
- Debrief on how you lived out your day every night in a journal. This will not only record your personal history, it will make you uber-clear on what you’re doing right and what needs to be improved.
- If you're not being criticized a lot, you’re not doing very much. Ridicule is the price of ambition.
- Develop a monomaniacal focus on just a few things. The secret to productivity is simplicity.
- To get the results very few people have, be strong enough to do what very few people are willing to do.
- Rest. Recover. It’ll make you stronger.
- Buy a smaller TV and build a larger library.
- Remember that the bigger the goal, the stronger a person you must become to achieve that goal. So goal-achieving is a superb practice for character-building.
- Food fuels your body. Learning feeds your mind.
- Don’t ask for respect. Earn it.
- Finish what you start. And always end strong.
- In business, don’t play to survive. Play to win.
- Protect your good name. It’s your best asset.
- Remember that words have power. Use the language of leadership versus the vocabulary of a victim.
- Give more than you take. The marketplace rewards generosity.
- Know that if it’s not messy, you’re not making progress.
- Be a hero to a kid.
- In business, aim for iconic. Go for legendary. Make history by how awesome you are at what you do.
- Please don’t confuse activity with productivity. Many many people are simply busy being busy.
- Your doubts are liars. Your fears are traitors. Stop buying the goods they are attempting to sell you.
- The best anti-aging remedy in the world is working really hard.
- World-Class performers have no plan B. Failure just isn’t an option.
- You have the power to change the world—one brave act and one person at a time. Please use it.
This list was written by Robin Sharma