So I ain't any professional designer. And you know what? That doesn't even matter!
I declare myself a packaging addict and life made me a product designer. And I must admit that I enjoy it as hell, I can feel it burning when it comes to packaging. It turns me on!
Ok. so... It's not just about wrapping the product so it doesn't break. It's more like sneeking into your customers life in a stylish way. It's more like the way of saying "Hi, this is our brand, wanna have sex forever?" In a more polite way of course. That's what good business are made of.
"You never toss a good packaging"
Creating a beatiful packaging essentials
We have to get you creative, turned on and in "packaging creating mode". Imagine you are Voldemort from Harry Potter. And imagine you wanna live forever so you can fulfill you dream of "Taking over the World!", what do you do!?
Answer: You create an Horocrux
Never watched Harry Potter? Well to put it short, the Harry Potter Wikipedia says "A Horcrux is a powerful object in which a Dark Wizard or Witch has hidden a fragment of his or her soul for the purpose of attaining immortality". Sounds pretty cool right?
"Packaging is the extension of the soul of your brand"
Ok so I just wanted so bad to talk about Horcrux... Been said that. Let's get more serious.
Beyond Packaging: An Unboxing Experience
It's all about being memorable, it's all about surprising and get your customers so turned on that they MUST shout out at the world how cool is your product/brand and how it's making a significant impact on their lifes (Yes, I personally take it that serious).
Elements you should totally consider when creating this experience:
- Materiality - The essence of your unboxing experience. There is touch and feel involved, each material will summon different experiences on each person. You can get far creative in here. You don't have to be obvious, why not experimenting creating a package with Carboard, Papers, Glass, Cork, Plastic, Wood, Food?
- The Shape - Good packagings stand out, they can be classy or more original. Shape is always a matter to take into account and personalization now a days is key. You can't look the same as others. The key here is the DIE or THE MOLD. This thing looks like this.
- Eco-Friendliness - I get really serious in here. Our society is based in tossing everything, almost all of the packaging end up in landfills. Consider on making 100% recyclable and recycled based packaging,, DO NOT USE materials that cannot be recycled (Like some kinds of plastics). Please ALWAYS choose certified materials. For example in Cardboard you have FSC, PEFC and others that certify the source of the materials was managed in a sustainable way.
- Functionality - You want to have an All Star packaging which will perform good on Styling, Carrrying, Protection, Cost Efectiveness, Stackability, etc... Some times you will have to decide one feature over the other.
- The "WOW" Moment - Every good packaging experience has that special big moment when something all of the sudden pop ups and blows the mind of the customer. Usually its when you do the big opening of the box, and there you release the beast! And of course, you give a general taste to the non clients with a nice visual aspect on the outside, but the Wow is for the heroes that become your customers. They disserve it!
Pimping up your Unboxing Experience - Add ons
Prepare for this checklist, all of these elements are there for you to explore, consider them all in your creation process! I really suggest taking them into account. I hope we can turn you on now!
Discount Codes - Is it just be the one who believes a customer should be treated and venerated like a god? In a business, the motor of everything is the customer. Those brave guys that took a change on you disserve the best. First step to loyalty and having sex forever (Your clients with your brand) is giving away a Discount!
Thank You Card - As I always tell everybody. We at Green Glass would be nobody without our clients. You gotta PRAISE the client. Be humble, Be cool and Be GRATEFUL. There is no nicer thing than opening a gift and BOOM! A big "Thanks, you rock our world" or something like that. Client will feel "Oh... I did good today, fuck I feel awesome, damn I should buy more, Oh yes! Im gonna tell the world about this brand!" and damn thats how you want them to feel! Never forget to say thanks. Don't be a rude bitch.
A Nice Seal - This can be used for pimping purpose. Just a little stripe of paper or something you need to break to get to the product. These creates a nice sense of "Virginity" or the sensation that the item is brand new and has never been touched. Is like you having sex for the first time (Im sorry guys but the world is so sexual and it's easier to explain this way)
A sweet surprise? - Well why not!? What if you hide some pieces of you favourite candy inside your packaging. Wouldn't that be playful, cute and out of this world? Remember being human in first place. Everybody loves being treated well. Just treat your clients amazingly well, you will earn gigantic karmic points, and the world will complain to make your brand succsesful.
Some funny funky instructions - As we saw before in Chubbies Shorts example, they included some damn funny instruction manual that says like this:
1. Try your short and make 20 squads.
2. Go out to the streets and just walk around for 5 minutes.
3. Write down the cellphone of all the girls following you now.
4. Go inside and make 20 more squads.
5. Open a beer and let the Weekend BEGIN!
Cool Freebies Related to your brand - So here you can really get creative :)! Say you sell Beer... A beer opener, ta dah! Say you sell drinking glasses... Some coasters! Dang! Sell you say (already drunk) some whatever!? Well then add some cool bracelets, condoms, matches, recipes, post-its, magnets, Sky is the limit!
Referral program - Make it easy for them to share your experience. In Fact, reward them for telling the world how awesome your brand is, you can have referral programs for your clients so they bring their friends or new clients. Discounts, Freebies and Credit to spend are always welcome. There are various apps for this. We recommend Talkable.
Tag your purchase - Admit we are all in seek for that sweet "Oh my gosh! Somebody tagged me!" Moment. And when the client takes the time to take one really nice picture, pose with a funny sexy face to praise your product. Ahhh... Those days are when the beer is colder and tastes better.
Stickers - Yes, yes oh yes. Have you ever seen a Roxy Sticker on a car? If you are in Chile, chances are that your are blind if you have not. The power of Stickers is Astonishing. Almost like a tattoo, a self sticking device to identify your personality and uniqueness with a brand and their values, or simply like this wrist bands when you go into hipster festivals... Just a thing to stand out and tell the world "Hey Im cool because I was here or I know this brand". Gosh! Im running out to the store to get some stickers for Green Glass! Let your fans paste them on their cars, Pc's, Cases and who else knows where. Let em' play ;)
Invitation Cards - If you have a store, let your packaging invite clients to them. In case of Green Glass "Bring your packaging to your nearest Green Glass Store to reclaim your special glass" Ain't that a sweeeeeeet invitations? Plus we offer them Lemonade and Cookies. #PraiseTheClient #LoveTheClient
You loved this right? Don't you ever forget us. Subscribe here and get a special true hand crafted gift.